Friday 16 January 2009

filming- John's interview

When filming john’s interview I asked Mr Gibbs to come along to help me, this was the only time I was accompanied when filming. I found it very helpful as it meant I didn’t have to do everything, such as film and interviewing. This meant that Mr Gibbs was able to zoom in on certain responses from john which was effective in conveying emotions.

Again like with Mike’s interview I had to think about the composition of the shot. This time I choose to have to place the interview in the conservatory as meant that there would be no problem with light. I had john and his interpreter Louise sit behind on bench like seat behind a table, it felt casual however gave enough space for the two of them to be in shot.

Before we began filming I asked Louise to read through the questions and tell me if any of them were two complex for john to understand. We simplified some of my phrasing however didn’t have to cut any questions. Again as I had done with mike I asked John and Louise to reiterate the questions. However this time it wasn’t as successful, john found it hard to remember to state the questions while Louise wasn’t doing this either. I also found that john wasn’t able to fully articulate himself and Louise- who I had waited for a month to become available- wasn’t actually very good at communicating with john. Her use of sign language was limited which meant that john’s responses were restricted. I knew this would make it hard for me in the edit as my own voice was very important to the responses as I had to interpret his answers. I had to film the interview twice in order to maximise the footage that could use and in the hope that John and Louise would become more relaxed and interactive.

No comments: